Thursday, December 26, 2013

Merry Christmas!

It’s been a wonderful Christmas with my family.  I’m sure I gained a few extra pounds, was busier then I wanted to be, but really tried to keep Christ in Christmas.  I love this time of year!
DSC_5452
Our highlight of Christmas was this cold night...  Before seeing the lights at Temple Square, we prepared a bunch of hot cocoa and Christmas cookies for the homeless downtown . Such a neat and humbling opportunity to reach out to those in need, one we’ll never forget.  Seeing my kids interact and show a deep love and empathy towards strangers was heartwarming.  We had many special moments, seeing Josh help wherever needed, helping a lady fill her plastic cup to the rim with cake to take with her, meeting “Lois the Most”, as he said we are safe around him at his post and he will protect us there in “the mix”, seeing Paul listen to a man for a good 20-25 minutes as he told him about his family and asked about ours, and seeing Trevor and the girls make sure everyone had marshmallows in their hot cocoa, serving so cheerfully and visiting those around them.  I was touched when a lady came to me saying some very special things.  My kids loved it and want to do it every year now. I normally don’t post about service experiences, but wanted my family to never forget this night.
Beautiful night!
DSC_5449
Took these cuties to see Frozen.  Our new favorite Disney show.  They quoted the show all evening over dinner.
20131216_153828
Even Ellie the Elf liked it
20131221_120650
December wouldn’t be the same without spending some time here… a peaceful morning with my sweetie away from the hustle and bustle.  don’t mind the steeple coming out of Paul’s head.
20131211_121856
With many hands, a few of us met at my place to put together these nice homemade bread and freezer jam gifts for the singles, over 30 were delivered by the youth. 
20131218_131336
Since Josh had to head back to school the day after Christmas (he starts his new mgr. job), we gave them an early Christmas present, a ski / snow board package for the day. 
20131223_152815
They were thrilled!  S & S love going with their brothers, they show them the ropes.  They take them on some pretty advanced runs, but the girls try hard and keep up.  The girls love to ski and the boys snowboarding.
20131223_152840 
While they were gone, Paul and I got some wrapping in, then actually had time for a real date.  What?  An enjoyable dinner and movie, “Saving Mr. Banks”
Yummy crepes for Christmas Eve breakfast, full of bananas, strawberries, and Nutella,
20131223_113708
Christmas Eve was magical- enjoying homemade Chicken Noodle soup and rolls, writing some special letters, reading “A Family Christmas Eve” with Luke 2, and singing Christmas songs.  Josh playing the chords on guitar was a nice addition.
20131224_202432
20131224_21065520131225_000826
I may have exceeded my 4 gift limit / person, but not by much, we have a decent size family.  It was nice to be in bed by midnight for a change on Christmas Eve!
20131225_000443
Merry Christmas to all!
 Christmas Cards 2013