Tuesday, October 09, 2007

First day of school

Sophie & Sage had a few butterflies getting ready for pre-school,
when we talked about it they said "no pre-school"


But they were brave and gave their best "I can do this" smile


Then their... O.K., enough pictures smile

They were happy to wear their new "Hello Kitty" backpacks


Hurry back mom & dad


First Day of School
Author Unknown

She started school this morning,
And she seemed so very small.
As I walked there beside her
Down the school hall.

And as she took her place beside
The others in the class,
I realized how all too soon
Those first few years can pass.

Remembering, I saw her as
She first learned how to walk.
The words that we alone made out
When she began to talk.

This little girl so much absorbed
In learning how to write.
It seems as though she must have grown
To girlhood overnight.

My eyes were blurred by hastily
I brushed the tears away
Lest by some word or sign of mine
I mar her first big day

Oh how I longed to stay with her
And keep her by the hand
To lead her through the places
That she couldn’t understand

And something closely kin to fear
Was mingled with my pride
I knew she would no longer be
A baby by my side

But she must have her chance to live,
To work her problems out,
The privilege to grow and learn
What life is all about.

And I must share my little girl
With friends and work and play,
She’s not a baby anymore --
She’s starting school today.

No tears this time, from them or mom until I read this poem, must've had something in my eye:). This day comes all too soon... especially when you've missed the first few years of their lives.

But I know it's time to share my little girls with others and let them learn and grow in areas besides home.

Their two months of pre-school in the summer and the orientation last week helped prepare them for this big day. Although they were apprehensive at first, they were brave and did very well! When we picked them up, after big hugs, they were thrilled to show us their watercolor name, the book made by themselves, listening to one of their favorite books "The Kissing Hand", and the treat at the end- Apples and Carmel Dip ("A" letter for the day). What a great first day! I'm sure they'll love pre-school. I like that it's only 2 hours a day, twice a week :).