Sunday, May 27, 2007

Memorial Day Memories

Paying respects to our loved ones- Memorial Day week-end... First we went to my FIL's grave. He was such a good father figure to me and wonderful Grandpa to our boys, not to mention he raised an incredible son! Our boys best memories of him are the many cozy times when he read to them on the couch, and the awesome paper airplanes he made! He passed away 6 1/2 years ago (cancer) and is truly missed! He would've loved our girls!


Then we went to my brother's grave, different cemetery. He is one of my heroes and I will always have great memories of him. He was born physically and developmentally disabled, not expected to live to see his teenage years, but lived until his mid 30's. He went through so much in life, including having his leg amputated in his 20's (received prosthetic leg). He couldn't speak but communicated well (signing) and although he was often in pain, he never complained and always had a smile on his face. He brought joy to all those around him and blessed our family in many ways. I'll never forget the great birthday celebrations with him and Christmas with my bro, Michael.
Families are Forever!

1 comment:

insanemommy said...

You know I always love reading your posts but todays was very special. I agree your father would have loved your little girls. Your brother sounds like an amazing person. You were lucky to have him as long as you did. Big hugs to you D.

Rony