Tuesday, July 04, 2006

When we got the news...


On August 23, 2005, our family was selected to adopt twin girls from XinYi, China. We have been on cloud 9 ever since and have been working hard to get them home. It shouldn't be much longer before we get our Travel Approval :)

Let me tell you our story...
This is something I've wanted to do for a long time. We have 3 wonderful boys, and I wanted to add a girl (or 2) to our family. I have had a soft spot for these precious children from China. It took a little while, but as soon as Paul started getting used to the idea and was coming around, I started researching and looking at different agencies and talking to friends who have adopted. A dear friend that was in the process of adopting, told me about new children coming soon on a "Waiting Child" list from her agency, Children's House International. When I saw the girls, I felt so good about them and couldn't get them out of my mind, but I figured the chances were close to impossible because we weren't paper ready or even registered with an agency yet, and I knew a lot of people would be interested in them. It was a busy time, but I couldn't get them out of my mind. Paul was coming around so I took the next step and emailed CHI to let them know how interested we were in these girls and how perfect they would be for our family. Later that day, Ginger called me and after pre-qualifying me over the phone, told me we would make good candidates but we would have to pre-register by 5:00, because they were placing the girls that day!!! She also told me that many families were interested in these girls, but they didn't feel really strong about a family yet. I ran out and told Paul to "pray fast, because, remember those girls I showed you a few days ago, they are placing them today". You should've seen the look on his face. Well, he got his answers, and at 4:45 we faxed over our pre-application. As soon as it was faxed, Paul said he knew we would be the new family.
That evening, Paul got a call first from the agency, they wanted to make sure he was on board with me. And he was! He had a chance to think about everything (one of the girls has Hep. B), and get the information he needed. They said he jumped through all the hoops and answered all their questions with surity (I'm not surprised). Later that night, they called me and told us that we were the new family to these sweet sisters. I was elated!
I will never forget that day. We celebrated with family and friends and everyone has been so happy for us. The next day, after sharing the news at work (school), it hit me on my way home, and I couldn't hold back the tears of joy. I am so grateful!!! And Paul has felt good about it ever since. He has the girls pictures displayed at work and wants them home as bad as I do. He is the best!

Sophie on bike


Sophie likes to drive


Sage crouching


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aaaw, they are adorable, good luck on getting them home ASAP!